Office of Emergency Management
The mission of the Phoenixville Office of Emergency Management (OEM) is to lessen the impact of disaster, both natural and man-made, on the community through the use of the principles of emergency management: mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery, as well as the National Incident Management System (NIMS)
How We Support That Statement
One of our biggest priorities during non-emergency times is to educate the Phoenixville community on preparing for all types of disasters.
- Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) and other training
- Community Outreach, including:
- Career Days
- First Fridays
- Girl and Boy Scout Troops
- School visits
- Social Media - In 2012, the OEM launched its Facebook page to help keep the community informed and prepared for emergencies. In 2014 we launched a Twitter account and are continuing to grow our social media presence.
- Ready Notify Pennsylvania
In times of disaster, one role of the OEM is to provide communications, coordination and support to first responders. This is accomplished by:
- Working closely Chester County Department of Emergency Services, as well as privately-owned businesses
- Establishing an emergency operations center (EOC)
- In the event of a major emergency, the EOC is the central hub of information and communications for the Borough of Phoenixville.
- Assisting with recovery and relief
- OEM works with various government organizations following a disaster to provide assistance for recovery and relief.