Identify significantly aged trees that have a conflict with overhead utility lines and underground infrastructure.
The 12-year plan divides the Borough into sectors so that the removal process does not denude one area over another.
By the Numbers:
- Total of 1,109 oak and sycamore trees slated for removal in the Borough
- Goal of 92 trees removed each year
- Approximate cost per tree = $1,300
- Approximate annual cost for tree removal and stump grinding = $121,000
- Prioritize removal of dead, diseased or trees in poor condition
Remove, Restore, Replant:
Reasons for Removal:
- Tree is Diseased or Dying
- Conflicts with overhead electrical
- Tree is over 70 years of age.
Selections of the trees were made in collaboration with the Tree Advisory Commission
- Removal of tree
- Disposal of tree
- Stump grinding
- Site cleanup
- A period of at least 18 – 24 months is needed for ground to heal/prepare for replantation after stump grinding has occurred
- This timing is for nutrients to return to the ground to support the planting of the new tree.
- Planting a tree species that is well suited to the location’s growing conditions.
- Those who receive a new tree on their property will be given a list of ways to properly maintain the young tree like the ones in the image below.